Thursday, March 19, 2020

Rabbit Holes

Or how I decided to start writing again, got lost, and found myself.

I used to write. A lot! I had great discipline, and would sit down with my first cup of coffee, and write. Almost every day. Almost. Then, life got busy. I mean, not in the actual "busy" sense. But I let myself slack. A lot. And I "let myself go". Until I was rather "out of shape" and no longer disciplined, creatively speaking.

I would start up again, here and there, with smatterings, only to abandon the muse. (Or, maybe she abandoned me, with my half-hearted efforts and lack of focus.) Then, the other night, when I had a thought about my fear of pressure cookers... and it didn't let go. Instead, it grew, and grew, and grew, until I quite realized that it needed to be scripted out. Sort of like when a tune gets stuck inside one's head and the only way to be rid of it is to let it out by singing it. And thus, I remembered my blogs. Plural.

Now, if you look over to the right, you can see a listing of posts. And a gap. A looooooooong gap. An 8 year gap. That does not mean that nothing creative happened in those 8 years. It just means that nothing creative happened that got posted here. Blogger is quite an interesting platform. Once logged in (and that was the tricky part that took longer than my first writing once I was in!), there is this great home page. This page of wonders holds all your settings, templates, resources, etc. And... it shows the list of blogs that you have started. Apparently, I used to write. A lot.

I like to be organized ~cough understatement cough~ and I obviously tried to be a bit orderly when it came to my creative inspiration. I have a recipe blog... for food. And one for martinis. (Ok, mixed drinks shaken and served in martini glasses.) And poetry. And jewelry making. And catharsis. And quite a few for when I had started up writing again and tried to travel down a different path. But this one, my "Amok" time (bonus points if you got that reference), was my favorite. Well, after Stuff We Eat, which is nothing but my recipe journal.

It was on The Muse that I just kind of let the words flow. After I hit "publish" yesterday, I started reading the older posts. Backwards. Yep, I didn't go and start with the first one to see how I got to this point. Nope. I starting working my way back. It was... interesting. Very interesting. And I started rediscovering myself, who I was, what I loved. And... who I am.

I guess I kind of got too "busy" at some point and lost myself along with the writing. And I'm kind of glad I didn't attempt to start yet another new blog fresh, but instead decided to build on the one I have always liked (second) best.

And I think I need to start posting on that recipe blog again as well!

No comments: