Let me count the ways.
Or at least let me provide a list of 20 things I love most about Autumn, because after reading Maven's blog The Good Life this morning, I couldn't resist whipping up my own little list & joining the fun.
And, as luck would have it, I needed to drive into the sleepy little town we live near to drop off a panful of Lemon Bars for the Choir Booster booth at the Fall Festival. The sights & sounds helped me remember the countless reasons why I love it when Autumn rolls around.
My 20, in no particular order:
1. The crisp "snap" in the air; warm enough to lift your face to the sun & glory in the warmth, but cool enough to need that jacket you couldn't pass up from the latest sale.
2. Fresh Pear Crumble Pie with the smell of ginger that fills the kitchen. This brings back the memories of the HUGE Bartlett pear tree that towered over my childhood back yard.
3. Boots. You can never have enough pairs of boots. Soft, supple, go with anything, boots.
4. Caramel apples. "Designer" caramel apples. Cut into wedges, with a generous topping of homemade, buttery caramel, warm fudgey chocolate sauce and pecans.
5. The changing colors of the leaves; the waves of colors on the hillside as you drive into town. The rich reds, golds, oranges and browns with a smattering of green still holding on to the memories of summer.
6. Comfort food that takes hours to simmer: stews and sauces, filled with the goodness of "fresh from the field" produce.
7. Bonfires. Complete with S'mores.
8. Snoogly sweaters pulled from their summer slumber.
9. A nice cup of Earl Grey while curled up on the couch with at least one of the cats after a long day.
10. Soups. I could live on soup. And a crusty French baguette.
11. The Full Harvest moon that seems to take over the entire sky.
12. Migration time. For birds & monarchs alike. Just the other morning, as I drove past the corner stables, the horses had gotten a bit frisky & were chasing a flock of blackbirds around the pasture, racing up & down the hill, not letting them land for more than an instant before they needed to take flight again.
13. The first night that it is chilly enough to light a fire.
14. Stargazing, as Orion begins to take its winter place to watch over me.
15. Hot apple cider. Fresh apple cider, warmed with cinnamon, ginger & cloves.
16. Sleeping with the window open & the blankets piled up.
17. Wooly bear caterpillars.
18. Farmer's markets. With the sights, sounds & smells that surround you.
19. Back to school. Even though I have been long gone from having to report for classes, I still pick up something new to learn.
20. Preparation for the Holidays.
And I could probably list another 20 more!!
Go to The Inspiried Room to make your own list!
Oaxacan Black Mole - 8oz dried pasilla chiles hot water Spice blend: 1-2 TBS seeds from the softened pasillas 1 tsp ground coriander 1/2 tsp three peppercorn blend 1/2 tsp anise...